Thursday, May 8, 2014

Necessary Provisions.



Just returned home and I'm typing this out just in case I forget the taste of my very first cup of Chemex pourover. I've already forgotten the name of the brew. There were two to choose from and I chose the beans from Ethiopia but I can't recall its full name. The barista described it as 'bright and fruity'. I was really surprised when I took the first sip. Fruity is indeed the word to describe the cup of coffee. I'm no coffee connoisseur but I am going to describe it because it was really interesting. You are not suppose to drink it with sugar or milk. The instance you take a sip, it tasted a little like Kopi-O haha but then immediately after you would be able to taste the 'fruitiness' which was then followed by a slight sourish taste. Drink it while it's hot. It turns more sourish when it's chilled to room temperature. I'm so glad I tried it. I was afraid that it will taste bitter, and the fact that I didn't know how to pronounce 'Chemex' did stop me from trying it at other cafés. Thanks to Google, it's pronounced as 'Chem-ex' as in 'Chem-istry' and 'Ex-cited' and I got to know from Shermaine that good coffees shouldn't taste bitter. And so, I had my first cup today!

The menu at Necessary Provisions is known to be quite simple and some say 'too basic'. They are better known for their coffees and I really didn't mind the Beef Pastrami, Brie and Whole Grain Mustard sandwich that I had. I think The Plain's Beef Pastrami sandwiches have primed me not expect so much from the sandwiches I can get elsewhere. Haha. The cookies at Necessary Provisions, however, should be pretty good. I tried the Forty Thieves Cookie and I told Cassandra that it's my favourite cookie in the world. I actually had a small bite of the cookie when I was tasting the coffee and it was really good. Ordered the big one and somehow it was less amazing, though still yummy. I love the generous amount of sesame that they used for the cookie.

Necessary Provisions is located at Eng Kong Terrace and many bloggers have stated that it's really ulu. True, but I don't think it's difficult to find. Alight at Clementi MRT, take bus 173 at Clementi's bus interchange and alight 8 stops later, at the stop 'After Eng Kong PI'. You won't have to count the number of stops because 173 is an SMRT bus and the name of the next stop will always be reflected on a screen you can find on the bus. Great for kiasi people like me haha. After you alight, cross the zebra crossing which is on the right of the bus stop, then continue walking down towards the right direction. Turn into the first lane and you should be able to spot some really old blocks of houses. The café is just behind the old blocks and has a black exterior. Typing this out because I couldn't find a proper set of directions online. If you stay in the West, it's a great café to visit!

Café | Necessary Provisions
21 Eng Kong Terrace
Closed on Mondays and first Tuesday of the month

No comments:

Post a Comment